We must not forget about mental illnesses after this week. ALWAYS remember that everyone is fighting their own battles that you can never see on their faces. Above all, remember that mental illnesses can affect anyone - regardless of power, wealth, career, or talent/skill. Some mental illnesses can lead to intentional or even accidental suicide.
Mental illnesses are not limited to depression and addiction. People also suffer from:
- Anxiety Disorders (panic disorder, social anxiety, specific phobias)
- Mood Disorders (depression, bipolar, cyclothymic disorder)
- Psychotic Disorders (schizophrenia)
- Eating Disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating)
- Addictions and Impulse Control Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
The best thing to do is not just google these, but know how to talk to people with any one of these disorders. Here are some helpful articles - PLEASE ADD MORE IF YOU FIND ANY!
9 Things Not to Say to Someone with Mental Illness
Tips For Talking to Someone with a Mental Illness
Supporting Friends and Family with Mental Illnesses
I hope this helps a few people on my dash if they know anyone who is suffering. Please correct me (nicely) if I’ve been wrong with anything.